It’s Pre-Engagement Season
Recently we surveyed over 1,000 newlywed and engaged couples about pre-engagement. You might know pre-engagement as the relationship stage when a bride-to-be (or groom, for that matter!) is feeling in limbo waiting for their S.O. to get down on one knee. You probably experienced it yourself, and considering the holiday season is the most popular time to get engaged, we bet you have at least one friend going through it right now.
The truth is that most couples today are planning for their future together before they become officially engaged! In fact, almost 100% of couples broach the subject of marriage before putting a ring on it, and the vast majority have dreams about what their big day will be like, from the dress to the decor. Our survey also found that 60% of couples plan some part of their nuptials before becoming engaged.
From scheduling a potential-pre-proposal manicure, to creating a secret (or not-so-secret) Pinterest board, pre-engagement activity is real. Here are some other stats from our survey:
94% of couples discussed marriage before getting engaged.
- 30% talked about getting engaged at least 1x per week, if not more frequently
- 43% talked about getting engaged at least 1x per month
- 5% only discussed marriage once before getting engaged
60% of couples said they actually planned part of their wedding before becoming engaged. Of these,
- 50% of brides-to-be created a wedding Pinterest board
- 15% read bridal magazines and wedding blogs
- 26% consulted with friends/family about their dream wedding plans
- 10% created a wedding planning checklist
- We also heard from brides who said before getting engaged they booked a venue, a photographer, wedding planner, went to pre-marital counseling, or even said yes to the dress in advance. Hey, whatever works!
Here are some check-list items that brides said they thought about before becoming engaged, but did not necessarily take action on.
- 55% had a location in mind (30% had an actual venue in mind)
- 48% thought about what their wedding dress might look like
- 32% considered who would be in their bridal party, where they would honeymoon, and what their wedding colors might be
- 25% pinned pictures of flowers, decor and wedding invites
- 20% had a wedding date in mind
- Other popular responses include wedding officiate, first dance song and wedding cake options.
Put A Ring On It
30% of brides admitted to getting a manicure only because they *thought* they were getting engaged. A little bit of sparkle and shine never hurt anybody!
70% of brides said they dreamed about the bling before getting a ring.
70% of brides-to-be also said they dropped bling hints (subtly and not-so-subtly).
- 50% of couples went ring shopping together
- 57% of couples look at dream bling pictures together
- 35% of couples went ring shopping together
Remember that if pre-engaged friends does make it official, we offer $50 for every friend who creates a registry. Click here to learn more. Happy engagement season!